Thursday, July 12, 2007

Look up once in a while.

I realized this afternoon that I’m guilty of something I’ve accused others of doing: failing to see the progress that’s been made in downtown Hagerstown. Not seeing the forest for the trees, so to speak. It occurred to me at lunchtime when I was sitting in our University Plaza. The lawns were lush, the landscaping was lovely, a fountain was running, a great local blues band was giving a free concert, and all sorts of downtown workers were lounging about with all sorts of fabulous carryout lunches. Tex-Mex, pizza, curry chicken wraps, salads. Someone even had some carryout Persian kabobs, for God’s sake. Persian food in downtown Hagerstown! People were holding conversations and relaxing and laughing. I saw a couple people reading books. It felt more like an idyllic college campus than the dumpy dreary downtown I’ve gotten all-too-used-to. When I walked back to the gallery to resume work, I noticed the new banners on the light poles and felt a definite swell of pride in my adopted hometown. Really, I have to remember to look up more often, and stop looking down. Because when you look up, you have to admit that things are looking a lot brighter around here.

Note: free lunchtime concerts every Thursday, and free professional cultural-and-literacy enhancement children’s storytelling every Wednesday at University Plaza. If that’s not a case of the City working for the people, I don’t know what is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin, I just read your letter in the paper. Where is the Persian restaurant? Thanks to your letter, I have me a hankering for some good Persian kabobs.

Blank said...

It's Leila's Kitchen on East Franklin, across the street from City Hall. Try it for lunch. Allow a little more time than you probably usually do, because the operation is fastidious, and hence just slightly slow. It's worth the wait. Also, don't miss out on Durango, across from NBC25 on Washington Street; really excellent Mexican food. If you hear of any other food finds in Hagerstown, please let me know.

yolanda said...

Nice piece, Kevin.
Made me think a bit. Looking up and noticing the little things really does make a difference. And IMHO, Hagerstown has been up and coming with the little things more and more of late.
Also thanks for the tip about Durango. Personally, we really love Leila's and welcome more Mom and Pop joints. It is nice to have some diversity in the downtown restaurant scene!