Friday, July 27, 2007

Don’t miss this. Time is running out.

Today my friend Caroline practically dragged me to see a photography exhibit at the Washington County Museum of Fine Arts. I’d been reluctant for a variety of reasons. I don’t really get turned on by most photography; there's great stuff out there, and like with any media, there's not-so-great stuff. And I’m pretty busy at the arts council during the summer. And the photographer is Norwegian, which I was sure would translate into sinister or at least overly-dramatic photographs. And I’ve never liked the way the WCMFA guards size you up when you enter our museum, and then they put a lurid green sticker on your clothes to indicate that you’ve been inspected. Creepy.
Anyway, this exhibit of exquisite photographs by Asle Svarverud is something you must must must experience. Breathtakingly and transformingly beautiful. I frequently harp about artistic excellence and merit. This is precisely what I am talking about.
Problem is that the exhibit closes this weekend. So take 45 minutes out of your weekend to give yourself a precious gift, and experience this show. The parking is free right outside the door. Do it on Saturday afternoon, then join us for a free concert by one of my absolute favorite Bluegrass bands --Dead Men's Hollow--at 7pm in City Park.
Oh, they don’t put those stickers on your clothes any more. The guard smiled at me when I walked in!

p.s. thanks, Caroline!

No comments: